One of the very popular Keralite breakfast is made out of Rice powder is very filling and requires a specific vertical standing steaming utensil called the “puttu kutti” -loosely translated Rice Stick.
In this very traditional form the Puttu Kutti looks like this
But these days, pressure cooker attachable version is also available.For those who do not have either of these ,do make these in Idli stand or the even more cruder version is using the Coconut shell.
Keralites,make both Sweet and non sweet version of the Rice cake/Puttu and can be eaten with the Chickpeas curry ,or papad and Banana/cherupayar curry.
The recipe for Kadla Curry/Chickpeas curry can be found here..https://iamcookingtoday.wordpress.com/2012/09/12/kadla-curry-for-puttu/
To make the Puttu there are readily available rice powders by Double horse or Nirapara brand.The ones available in the market are a mixture of both raw and boiled rice.I tried this with raw rice powder made at home.
- 2 Cups Raw Rice
- 4-5 Tbsp Fresh grated Coconut(if available ,if not I used coco nut powder-microcooked for 1mt with 1 tbsp of water).
- 3tbsp Sugar(for Sweet Puttu).
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak the rice for 3hours.
- Drain and spread on a plate and keep for drying.
- In a grinder,grind into a fine powder(not too fine).
- In a pan,fry the powder for 3-4mts by stirring continuously.
- I do all the above on the previous day to make for breakfast the next day.
- Mix salt with water.
- Mix the rice powder,with little little salt water to a point where it is not too wet ,but lumps can be formed when you take some a squeeze in between thumb and other fingers.
- Keep it aside for 5-10mts.
- Mix coco nut grating and sugar/salt based .
- In the putu vessel starting with coconut mixture layer at the bottom most ,add one tbsp of coconut grating fir 1-2 handful of rice mixture,.before putting the rice mixture make sure the mixture has not dried out,if so repeat step 7 again.
- Place on the pressure cooker,if using pressure cooker attachment and steam .From the time the steam starts venting from the top of the kutti ,the puttu needs to be cooked for 4-5mts.
- Take off the attachment and push the puttu out .
- Serve with your choice of accompaniment.In the photo above ,it has been served with Kadla curry.